[Dev-luatex] Cron <luatex at boekplan> /var/www/luatex.org/www/bin/luatex-svn

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Mon Sep 6 10:47:38 CEST 2010

Am 05.09.2010 16:35, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
> On 09/05/2010 02:55 PM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>
>> b) will make existing documents (hyphenation exceptions) "fail" ?
>
> Yes, for example:
>
>      bla bla bla. Declination is ....
>
> will not use the standard hyphen.tex exception for "Declination".

What about patterns, are they going to be case-sensitive, too?  That
could resolve one class of homonyms in German language, e.g.,

    spie-len-de  vs.  Spiel-en-de

At the same time, I think the number of used levels (we are at level 8
already), average pattern length, and number of matching patterns per
word could decrease, because case-sensitive patterns are should be more
specific then case-insensitive ones.  All at the cost of more patterns
of course, but I haven't done any tests so far.  I'll report back, if I
have some numbers.

> Personally, I think this is acceptable. But if there are objections,
> I can go back to being case-incensitive, it is not that important.

A configuration option seems sensible that, if set to case-insensitive,
lower-cases words before pattern matching, effectively ignoring patterns
containing upper-case letters (lower-casing patterns, too, could
generate conflicting patterns).  I have no preference for the default
behaviour, though.  Hyphenation quality would go down in both cases,
case-insensitive patterns are used with a case-sensitive pattern
matching strategy and vice versa.  But it would preserve (a way for)
backwards-compatibility, i.e., maintaining the current level of
hyphenation quality, when existing patterns are used.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig