[Dev-luatex] Compiling LuaTeX on Windows

Graham Douglas graham.douglas at readytext.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 20:23:05 CEST 2010

luigi scarso wrote:

> I'm newby on windows 7, but I would like to compile
> luatex with MingW32 -- and I need help .

Hi Luigi!

Here's what I have under Windows Vista

(1) I have MSYS installed under

C:\msys\1.0\bin

which I think is the default install location

(2) The "bash shell" is run via the following batch file

C:\msys\1.0\msys.bat -norxvt
--- the install creates a shortcut to this
and places it on your desktop

(3) I have MinGW installed under

c:\MinGW

--- again, the default

(4) Within MSYS there is a file called "fstab" located
under
c:\msys\1.0\etc\

You'll need to edit this to tell MSYS where
things are --- a sort of mapping I guess. For example

My directory c:/LuaTeX (source code) is mapped to

  /luatexbeta

with a line in fstab like this

c:/LuaTeX /luatexbeta

so that when I run the "bash shell" I do

cd /luatexbeta

to go to the LuaTeX source code, which is updated
by Tortoise SVN client (excellent + free)

(5) From memory I recall that I had to manually install
gcc/gdb  into MinGW --- here:

c:\MinGW\bin\

(I really can't recall if it was gcc or gdb (debugger) which
I had to install)

(6) To compile LuaTeX I start MSYS via the shortcut to the batch file
-- as discussed above

Then I type

cd /luatexbeta

and then all I do is type

build.sh

actually I do

build.sh --nostrip

to leave symbols in for debugging with gdb

(7) Go and gab a coffee.

Hope that helps

Graham