[Dev-luatex] Typo in functuonref.tex

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sun Sep 12 17:48:26 CEST 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu> wrote:

>>> Sure, Taco is secretly working on latexlib.  This allows you to run
>>> LaTeX directly in Context:
>>>
>>> \startLaTeX
>>> \textbf{hello}
>>> \stopLaTeX
>>
>> Oh, you underestimate the power of the dark side. Running latex inside
>> context is already possible using the external filter module[1].
> as I said to Reinhard to a private email
> it's also something that I'm thinking from a while.
> The Aditya idea (that I *must* know :-) )
> is to call an external process, hence
> 1) doesn't share state (ie fonts) and this can be a limit

No, it does. pandoc is an (incomplete) parser that converts latex to
context. So, the latex snippet is converted to context snippet and read
back.

> 2) it's slow, but on multicore system this cannot be  a problem
> 3) it has a safe separation of task , and this always matter

> An alternative is to use a luatex with more states and then 1) maybe
> can be resolved
> (with a good support from mkiv)
> but then 2) (locks on commons data structures) and 3) (threading) may fail.

But seriously, if you want to read LaTeX commands, the simplest way is to
write the "converter" in TeX.

\let\textbf=\bold
\let\bfseries=\bold
etc.

An easier solution might be to restrict to GELLMU aware commands and use
GELLMU to transform LaTeX to SGML and then just write a Context XML parser
for that. But this is way OT here.

Aditya