[Dev-luatex] HarfBuzz [slightly off-topic]

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:56:56 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> A repository with additional modules is a secondary effort, alongside
> luatex. I know that Luigi has done lots of tests and is setting up some
> procedure for it, but as this is to be supported on *all* relevant platforms
> it's not something trivial. So, there will be something, but not preloaded.
> (Just like we don't preload macro definitions or fonts or ...).
>
> Hans

True.

There are some solutions for this
1) handmade binding
The most efficient and long

2) SWIG
Automatic binding. Quick, solid, but you need a very good C library.
C++ is a nightmare (at least for me now)

3) a bridge ala lunatic.
If a python binding already exist, why build a different lua binding ?.
Just use a bit of lua/python mixed code.

Of course there are and will be always problems for maintenance (think
about python 2.6,2.7,3.1,3.2 for example)
For all these points, support for all platforms is something hard to achieve.
Actually I can compile and test in (in a 32bit Linux box)  libraries
for Linux and Windows with mingw
but I don't have any clue if I can do the same with Mac (of course
without buy a Mac)

Concerning xml: build a binding for libxml  & libxslt with swig should
be easy; the API is stable, the library is well tested
and available for most platform. Perhaps already exists a lua binding
and  even an handmade binding is feasible ---
so why a fork of Luatex ?

--
luigi