[Dev-luatex] letterspacing and (no) ligatures

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Feb 10 14:49:26 CET 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>> Couldn't one create that distinction by how one sets the text?
>> Directly input the unicode character for the diphthongs, while allowing the ligatures to be constructed by OpenType rules --- that way the diphthongs would be left alone in situations like this, while ligatures would never be made when not appropriate.
> But then it would be a matter of the backend, not LuaTeX (except for \letterspacefont), right?

>> I thought this was the whole point behind the Unicode Consortium choosing not to allocate code points for ligatures.
> what about U+FB03 for example? (LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFI)
> Perhaps I misunderstood you.

No. I should've been more specific ``...the whole point behind the Unicode consortium choosing not to allocate any additional code points for ligatures beyond those which were provided for legacy's sake.''

William Adams
senior graphic designer
Fry Communications
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.