[Dev-luatex] letterspacing and (no) ligatures

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Thu Feb 10 15:18:31 CET 2011

On 10.02.11 06:25, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> I've created a tracker item, but I am not sure yet whether either of
> them is actually a bug or simply a incompatibility.

I would call it an incompatibility bug ;-)

As others have noted, some ligatures in letterspaced text shouldn't be
broken. If \letterspacefont now disables all ligatures, this is no
longer possible except by changing the font for each and every such
ligature (and even for "--", "<<" etc.). This renders \letterspacefont
basically useless.

And to consider the fact that \tagcode and \pdfnoligatures are virtually
no-ops as an incompatibility sounds like a strong euphemism to me...

Of course, one could always use lua code, but if you provide the pdftex
commands at all, I think they should function in a sensible way.

Regards,
--
  Robert