[Dev-luatex] letterspacing and (no) ligatures

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Sep 6 10:31:10 CEST 2011

On 6-9-2011 04:22, Robert wrote:

> \input luaotfload.sty
> \font\x="Linux Libertine O:+smcp;+onum"
> \x Abcd 0123 (\fontname\font)\par
> \letterspacefont\y\x 100
> \y Abcd 0123 (\fontname\font)\bye
>
> Now, this would basically mean that \letterspacefont can only be used
> for type1, but not for opentype fonts. Is this really intended?

I'm pretty sure it has been answered before (but not sure on what lists).

I cannot test it here but you should use mode=base which will create a
static font that is handled by tex itself as the tex machinery will copy
the font data when you do that kind of letterspacing. The engine  is
ignorant of anything related to the font at the lua end so one might
loose some very specific features provided outside the engine but that's
no big deal as letterspacing spoils the game anyway. Smallcaps and
oldstyles normally are no problem.

(So, it's not a luatex bug.)