[Dev-luatex] Libhyphen

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Sep 22 23:57:16 CEST 2011

schrieb Stephan Hennig:
> schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>>
>> Arabic handling in luatex (or rather luatex based packages) is done by
>> OpenType layout features processed by lua code, no engine techniques are
>> involved.
>
> Is OpenType powerful enough to solve all script related typesetting
> problems in Arabic typography?

OK, I've read a (very) little bit about typesetting Arabic script and
found in <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_script>

> Context-sensitive shaping (ligatures), where a character may change
> its shape, dependent on its location and/or the surrounding
> characters. For example, a character in Arabic script can have as
> many as four different shape-forms, depending on context.

As far as I know, OpenType uses (more or less) simple rules rather than
patterns for contextual features (I may be wrong with that).  Does that
mean, glyph substitution in Arabic script can be managed by rules only?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig