[Dev-luatex] Trouble with hyphenation.

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat Feb 18 12:08:13 CET 2012

Hello all,

I've found some strange behavior with hyphenation; but since hyphenation
has been discussed frequently, and might involve some settings in conf
files somewhere I'm not aware of, I wouldn't like to submit an unnecessary
tracker item in case the problem is well known. The code is:

      \hsize=0pt \overfullrule=0pt
      \hyphenation{W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r}

      \uchyph=1
      Acceptation Behavior Dying Expression Whatever

      \uchyph=0
      Acceptation Behavior Dying Expression Whatever
      \bye

And comparing the plain TeX compilation in PDFTeX and LuaTeX (all
from TL2011, except LuaTeX, which is rev 4358), I notice that:

- LuaTeX doesn't obey \uchyph=0; it does hyphenate the words, although
  not as completely as when \uchyph=1.

- "Acceptation" is hyphenated in LuaTeX even though it's the first word,
  and a hyphenable word should be preceded by a glue (see TeXbook p.256);
  it is not hyphenated in PDFTeX.

- As shown by the hyphenation of "Whatever", LuaTeX disregards
  \lefthyphenmin and \righthypenmin.

Does it ring any bell, or should I add it to the tracker item?

Best,
Paul