[Foxet] minimal install steps for foXet ?

Michael Smith smith at xml-doc.org
Mon Nov 22 16:19:52 CET 2004

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

[...]

> there are zip files with minimal trees on the website (take the ones from
> www.pragma-pod.com since i need to update the ade site), e.g. linuxtex.zip
>
> alternatively
>
>   rsync -r www.pragma-pod.com::linuxtex mytex

Thanks. Got 'em. Though actually, looks like it is:

  rsync -r www.pragma-pod.com::linux mytex

That is, just 'linux' instead of 'linuxtex'

> you can run
>
>  . setuptex <path to tex tree>
>
> after that and next make a format
>
>   texexec --make --alone --all

Thanks. That did it. I re-ran with foXet and now how have
artifact-free output of my test doc -

  http://sideshowbarker.net/docs/xmlcatalog-man.pdf

Please add me to the ConTeXt/foXet fan club :) This is nice stuff.

One problem I've noticed: If I have the string "--" in my FO
source, one of the dashes gets gobbled and only a single dash
shows up in output.

PassiveTeX shows the same behavior, so we put a workaround in the
DocBook stylesheets to instead have "-&#x200b;-" generated when
output is destined for processing with Passivetex.

But if I feed foXet a test doc containing "-&#x200b;-" instances,
they show up in PDF output with a black square box between the dashes:

  http://sideshowbarker.net/docs/xmlcatalog-man.boxes.pdf

So is there another solution to prevent the dashes from getting gobbled?

Also, does foXet support generation of PDF bookmarks yet?

  --Mike