[Foxet] minimal install steps for foXet ?

Michael Smith smith at xml-doc.org
Mon Nov 22 18:08:20 CET 2004

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> Michael Smith wrote:
>
> >One problem I've noticed: If I have the string "--" in my FO
> >source, one of the dashes gets gobbled and only a single dash
> >shows up in output.
> >

> this is because most TeX fonts treat "--" as a ligature for an en-dash,
> and you cannot stop ligatures easily in the macros. I get around
> this by having locally-hacked TeX font metrics, but thats an extreme
> measure!
>
> the -- tends to occur in typewriter contexts; is it okay there?

I know what you mean by "typewriter contexts", but I don't know
what that means in XSL-FO...

But, regardless, before I applied that patch that Hans posted, it
wasn't OK anywhere in output from test docs I tried; it got
gobbled everywhere.

Anyway, I think the easy solution as far as the DocBook
stylesheets go is just to never generate "--" in FO output, but
always generate "-&#xFEFF;-" instead. Because no cases that I know
of where anybody would want a break in the middle of "--".

  --Mike