[NTG-context] Footnotes Without Text Marks?

John McChesney-Young ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:18:07 -0800

Dear Listmembers,

Is there a command or work-around in ConTeXt that's comparable to
Plain TeX's \vfootnote, to generate a footnote without a reference
mark in the text? I found options for marks with numbers, Roman
numerals, and letters (cont-enp.pdf, p. 83/99) but nothing for an
invisible mark.

I apologize for what might be a very obvious question, but I don't
find an answer in the manual nor via a Google advanced search of the
Pragma-ADE domain. I checked the archives and found a discussion from
last February in which Idris Hamid asked about changing symbol
options, to which Hans Hagen helpfully responded with a sample set-up:

\setupfootnotes
    [conversion=HowAboutIt]

\defineconversion
    [HowAboutIt]
    [One,Two,Three]

I tried substituting both \null and {} for the "One,Two,Three" but
neither worked.

There was also some discussion of a proposed command
\setupfootnotemarker early and late last year, but I wasn't clear on
whether or how it had been implemented.

I've also been following the French hyphenation thread with some
interest; my outputs of all the samples posted so far (with TeXShop
1.34) have unfortunately displayed <A-macron><copyright symbol> for
the original <e-aigue>, and the word at the line end doesn't
hyphenate (the console reports an overfull \hbox, as I would expect).

I'm very new to *TeX, have always worked with Macs (since OS 7.1),
and have essentially no Unix experience, so answers that assume
wholesale ignorance will be best appreciated and understood. :-)

Thanks very much!

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis@pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,