[NTG-context] Footnotes Without Text Marks?

John McChesney-Young ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:58:46 -0800

Adam kindly suggested:

>As you're on a mac, you're probably cut/pasting from your mail client
>into your editor of choice (TeXShop? iTeXMac?).

Yes I did, into TeXShop.

  Most likely that client
>is saving your source file in Mac encoding. Therefore, you should be using:
>   \useregime[mac]
>Instead of win or il1.
>Hope that solves the A-macron problem, at least.

I was experimenting with the example posted by=20
Peter M=FCnster, with a few more accented=20
=E9volutions to put them well into another line:

\fr
\useencoding[ec]
\enableregime[il1]
\starttext
=E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9v=
olution
=E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9volution =E9v=
olution

evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution
evolution evolution
\stoptext

When I replaced the \enableregime[il1] with=20
\useregime[Mac] and saved the document in TeXShop=20
with MacOSRoman encoding the problem is ... um=20
=2E.. solved by the output completely ignoring the=20
first letter and turning the first word into=20
"volution"!

However, when I change the command sequence to=20
\enableregime[Mac] instead of \useregime the=20
e-aigue *does* work, so thank you very much! It=20
still doesn't hyphenate, but it's a step in the=20
right direction. Here's the Overfull \hbox=20
message from the console, on the off-chance it's=20
relevant for the hyphenation problem:

Overfull \hbox (17.09685pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 5--7
[]/cmr12/^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^=
Sev
olution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution
[1.1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
systems        : end file frenchtest at line 10

(end quote)

Thank you very much for the solution to the=20
diacritical problem! Now I'm going to have to=20
look in the manual for the difference between=20
\useregime and \enableregime...

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis@pacbell.net=20