[NTG-context] Footnotes Without Text Marks?

John McChesney-Young ntg-context@ntg.nl
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:47:19 -0800

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your clear and simple response.

You wrote:

>to get correct hyphenation, the accented characters have to be in the font,
>as they are in Latin Modern or EC. In CM the =E9 is a composition of an e a=
nd
>the accent.

Now I understand. That makes a great deal of sense.

I followed the installation instructions at:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

for i-Installer and that included downloading=20
(and I assume i-Installer installing) the=20
CM-Super fonts. Since the readme says:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/README

"All European and Cyrillic writings are covered,"=20
would that mean that using CM-Super rather than=20
CM would solve the problem? How do I get ConTeXt=20
to switch to Super? Or am I missing something=20
painfully obvious (as with composite vs. unitary=20
symbols)?

The readme also says, "The goal was to provide=20
full support for a wide number of fonts used in=20
LaTeX," which makes me suspect that I'll either=20
have to move files around or somehow convert them=20
for use by ConTeXt, but if someone could explain=20
exactly how (and your saying that EC seems to be=20
difficult to support with ConTeXt makes me think=20
this process might not be trivial) I'd appreciate=20
it, although if necessary I can just try to=20
figure it out from the CM-Super FAQ and readme=20
and Installation documents. I expect it would=20
improve my character to do so, but I'm not sure I=20
want it improved quite that much.

>It's not in the manual, but it seems that \useregime does nothing, it only
>pre-loads a "regime" to make it available for an \enableregime
>command. Since there is already a "\useregime[def,uni,ibm,win,il1,mac]" in
>regi-ini.tex, you'll need an extra \useregime only for other regimes.

Thank you for explaining this as well, and for=20
saving me a fruitless search in the manual.

Best,

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis@pacbell.net=20