[NTG-context] Wrapping around footnotes

William D. Neumann ntg-context@ntg.nl
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:46:43 -0700 (MST)

Well, that's sort of OK if you only have one or two footnotes and can
fiddle with the manual placement of the footnotes.  What I want is for the
columns in the document to flow around the footnotes automatically
througout the entire document.  If you look at the following two
(essentially the same) PDFs:

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/files/HORSE-ctx.zip
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/files/HORSE-ltx.zip

you can see what I am trying to achieve.  The second file (prepared with
Latex) flows automatically around the footnotes on pages 1 and 3, while
the first file (prepared with Context) does not, subsequently looking
awkward (if not ugly) and wasting valuable space.  does anyone know how to
acheive the flow of the Latex processed paper?

Thanks for the suggestion though, I do appreciate the help.

William D. Neumann

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Willi Egger wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> I do not know whether I can make you happy ...
>
> I played with the following setup, which gives a comparable result,
> though it needs some manual actions:
>
> \starttext
> \startcolumnset[n=2]
> \startlocalfootnotes[n=0]
>     text with footnotes\footnote{a tip}
>     text
>     text
> \placelocalfootnotes
> \column
>     text
>     text
>     text
>     text
>     text
> \stoplocalfootnotes
> \stopcolumnset
> \stoptext
>
> William D. Neumann wrote:
>
> >I'm preparing a paper in two column format, and I'm having issues with
> >footnotes in one column affecting the text in the other column because the
> >text in the other column stops at the same spot as the text in the column
> >with the footnote rather than typsetting down to the bottom of the page.
> >
> >For example, I am currently getting:
> >
> >blah, blah, blah1    yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >------
> >1 footnote text
> >here. footnote
> >text here.
> >footnote text here.
> >
> >Instead of this (which I want)
> >
> >blah, blah, blah1    yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >blah, blah, blah     yammer, yammer, yammer
> >------               yammer, yammer, yammer
> >1 footnote text      yammer, yammer, yammer
> >here. footnote       yammer, yammer, yammer
> >text here.           yammer, yammer, yammer
> >footnote text here.  yammer, yammer, yammer
> >
> >How can this be done?  I've tried playing with the various setup commands
> >for columns and footnotes, but nothing seems to work.  Any help is
> >appreciated.

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

	-- Jarvis Cocker