[NTG-context] ConTeXt and the blind

Hans Hagen ntg-context@ntg.nl
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:47:37 +0200

At 17:32 15/04/2004, you wrote:

>There is a utility called untex, that strips LaTeX formating from a tex
>file.  I didn't test it with ConTeXt, but it may work too.  If you can
>produce a dvi file, there is couple of programs: dvi2tty  and catdvi
>that can extract text from a dvi file,  Finally, pdftotext, which I
>believe is a part of the xpdf package, can extract text from many pdf
>Finally, there is a program called tex2page, that convert TeX to html.
>Unlike latex2html, it can handle at least some plain TeX, so it may be
>possible to use it on ConTeXt files.  Again, I didn't try it.  If you
>want to experiment with it, it is at

since most context commands are instances of more generic ones, you can
define another style to process the file to something suited for blind, say:

but that could be a lot of work. More simple is to use pdftotext which
works ok for most cases,

is then probably enough

btw, there are ways to get auditive info in the pdf file, for instance let
the voice engine speak and so