[NTG-context] ConTeXt and the blind

Hans Hagen ntg-context@ntg.nl
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:47:37 +0200

At 17:32 15/04/2004, you wrote:

>There is a utility called untex, that strips LaTeX formating from a tex
>file.  I didn't test it with ConTeXt, but it may work too.  If you can
>produce a dvi file, there is couple of programs: dvi2tty  and catdvi
>that can extract text from a dvi file,  Finally, pdftotext, which I
>believe is a part of the xpdf package, can extract text from many pdf
>files.
>
>Finally, there is a program called tex2page, that convert TeX to html.
>Unlike latex2html, it can handle at least some plain TeX, so it may be
>possible to use it on ConTeXt files.  Again, I didn't try it.  If you
>want to experiment with it, it is at
>http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/tex2page/tex2page-doc.html

since most context commands are instances of more generic ones, you can
define another style to process the file to something suited for blind, say:

\setuphead[chapter][style=normal]

but that could be a lot of work. More simple is to use pdftotext which
works ok for most cases,

\setuplayout[header=0pt,footer=0pt]
\setupcolumns[n=1]

is then probably enough

btw, there are ways to get auditive info in the pdf file, for instance let
the voice engine speak and so

Hans