[NTG-context] verbatim problem

John Culleton ntg-context@ntg.nl
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:53:20 -1000

On Thursday 22 April 2004 08:59 am, Severin Obert=FCfer wrote:
> hello
>
> i have a little verbatim problem
>
> i used the \startEIFFEL \stopEIFFEL verbatim environment
> in a verry simple way like this:

Similarly I needed to have the program obey line breaks as=20
in \obeylines but interpet the lines (font changes etc.) in=20
the usual way. I did not want space left between lines.=20
Neither the plain TeX nor the Context solutions fit this=20
purpose exactly, but plain was closer. So I cobbled up this=20
code:
\def\startobey{\medskip\setupwhitespace[none]\obeylines}
\def\stopobey{\setupwhitespace[small] \medskip}

I start the section needing verbatim line endings with=20
{\startobey
=2E... and end it with
\stopobey}

I don't know if the braces are necessary but the TeXBook=20
seems to imply such.

My solution tends to ignore blank lines so I have to put a=20
\medskip instead of a blank line.

This is a terrible solution but the best I could come up=20
with in a hurry. No doubt someone will suggest a better=20
one.=20

BTW whre is \startEIFFEL documented? I don't recall seeing=20
it before. =20
=2D-=20
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers