[NTG-context] Shell escape & ConTeXt

Hans Hagen ntg-context@ntg.nl
Tue Jun 8 20:32:03 CEST 2004

Adam Lindsay wrote:

>(disclaimer: I don't run gwTeX on my main rig (TeXLive for me), but I try
>to keep an eye on what's going on over there. For whatever TeXLive-ish
>reason, my texexec.ini includes  --default-translate-file=cp8bit on that
>line as well.)

that's a sad story:

just before tl 2003 came out, we found out that 8 bit was kind of gone
from tex (at least no 8 bit to written files, which renders e.g.
verbatim and tocs and such useless, esp since context normaly does *not*
expand toc entries); this was fixed by applying cp8bit by default but  i
added it to the ini file to be sure for older versions of pdftex

some time ago, we foun dout that the cp8bit vector is incomplete (lower
part missing) so thi sis why recent context distributions have natural.tcx

i still have to check the latest tl binaries (just got them) but they
should default to pure 8 bit without loading the tcx file