[NTG-context] MPost: how to pass variables from mpost to TeX.

Hans Hagen Outside ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sun Jun 13 22:21:49 CEST 2004

vinuth madinur wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>              My mpost doesn’t have “textext” macro.
>So, what are the other ways of doing it?
>
>What I want to do is this :
>
>%I have a variable “GbLableName”
>GbLableName=”B_2”;
>
>%Now I want to use this variable like this:
>
>lable.bot( btex GbLableName etex , (0,0) );
>
>But this will just display “GbLableName” instead of “B_2”.
>
>So can someone please tell how this can be done? I know too little about TeX.
>
>Someone suggested about using  “Textext” macro. But my MPost version doesn’t have it.
>So are there any other ways of doing it?

btex ... etex is scanned by some mp tools and then tex'd; no expansion takes place then, so GBLableName becomes text

textext is more clever;

why not use metafun then? it has everything metapost + more

also,

\starttext

\startMPpage
   your code
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

with

(texexec --pdf thatfile.tex)

will work ok; from within metafun/context you can use text variables (\MPstring and such); see metafun manual