[NTG-context] Re: ConTeXt-Wiki

Tobias Burnus ntg-context@ntg.nl
Wed Jun 23 09:51:48 CEST 2004

Hello,

Maurice Diamantin wrote:

> - how about ConTeXt future (why it is not open source?)

Well, ConTeXt is regarded as opensource. The last time I read the
licence it looked pretty free. In how far do you think should ConTeXt
become more "open source"? BSD licence without advertising clause? LGPL?
Note that teTeX comes with this licence statement by Thomas Esser
("doc/context/base/LICENSE.teTeX"):

 "I have taken great care to ensure that teTeX is free
  software. When speaking about free software, I always refer
  to the definition of the Free Software Foundation, given as
  http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.

  To my understanding, ConTeXt with the mreadme.pdf-license already
  classifies as free software (as defined by the FSF). To be 100% sure
  of this fact, I hereby make ConTeXt free software "by definition"
  by adding the following clause to ConTeXt's license:

  If ConTeXt is not free software by the license in mreadme.pdf, the
  following terms replace the licence for ConTeXt given in mreadme.pdf:
    (at your option) any later version.[...]"

> - which/where is the reference documentation
>   (don't reply with some recursive answer!)

Hmm, the problem is that the documentation is* notoriously outdated and
incomplete. But I think the "ConTeXt - the manual" is rather good though
incomplete.
*

> - how many euro poeple would pay for a reference
>   ConTeXt book?

You mean a printed version of the revised/enhanced "ConTeXt - a manual"?

Regards,

Tobias