[NTG-context] docs

William D. Neumann ntg-context@ntg.nl
Fri Jun 25 17:56:09 CEST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Hans Hagen wrote:

> William D. Neumann wrote:
>
> >And that's, unfortunately, a poor view to take.  I would love to use
> >ConTeXt for more of my academic writing, as it makes a lot of tasks much
> >easier, not just layout and design.  Unfortunately, it's inability to play
> >like LaTeX when it comes to even such basic things as footnotes, mean
> >
> eh .. what's wrong with the footnotes?

Set a page in two column with footnotes set to span just the column where
the mark is placed (I forget the full commands to do this... I could look
them up, but you probably know what they are...).  Now, place a footnote.

In LaTeX, you get something that looks like:

text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text[1]   text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
------------------     text text text text
[1] footnote foot      text text text text
footnote footnote      text text text text
footnote footnote      text text text text

In ConTeXt you get something like:

text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text[1]   text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
text text text text    text text text text
------------------
[1] footnote foot
footnote footnote
footnote footnote

That is, the other column doesn't flow around the footnote in the other
column, wasting space and looking ugly.  I asked at least twice on this
list how to fix this and received no fixes.  If you have a fix, I would
be *very* pleased to hear about it...

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)