[NTG-context] key=value parameters

Vit Zyka vit.zyka at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 23 12:53:33 CEST 2004

Thank you Taco.

>>I can imagine next solutions:
>>1) Do not use predefined keys in my macros, e.g. textWidth instead of
>>    textwidth [=user unfriendly].
>
> If you decide on this solution, please use Textwidth instead (at least
> something that starts with a capital letter).

OK, but I do not like this solution.

>>2) Use original (mostly Dutch) keys inside of my macros
>>    [=developer unfriendly].
>
> In this case, the "correct" solution is to use the interfaced versions
> like \c!tekstbreedte et al. inside your macros. This is unwieldy if you
> are not very familiar with the ConTeXt source, but it allows multilingual
> input (very user friendly).

That is true I was not familiar about \c!... But problem is not in
familiarity with ConTeXt source but Dutch language. One should write
\c!tekstbreedte instead of \c!textwidth. For non Dutch it means all the
time search at mult-*.tex. I know, solution is to learn Dutch... Hans
has plan to rewrite all code to English, hasn't it?
Very good idea.

Multilingual input:
- In late 90. when I met ConTeXt first time, I was very confused. Some
macros work, something was ignored. It took several days to discover
that I have to write (in my czech format) \nastavbarvy instead of
\setupcolors. After that I quickly switch to english interface.
- Multilingual interface is a nice example of ConTeXt capability, but a
bit inpractical. It keeps from source code exchange. I can imagine some
transtlators, but...
- I think there is no many ConTeXt users (even any?) that use non
English or non Dutch interface (languages in which reference manual is
written).

>>3) Define:
>>      \unprotect
>>      \def\getparametersALL{\dogetparameters\dosetvalueALL}
>
> Actually there is no need to define anything, you can just use \rawgetparameters
> instead of  \getparameters.

Great, but unfortunately it does not work with empty parameter list [].
No I have no time but I will look for better definition of
\rawgetparameters and \rawsetparameter.

Vit Zyka