[NTG-context] more footnotes:-)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Fri Jul 23 19:32:40 CEST 2004

Dear partners in crime,

I have come across a situation where, in a left-to-right document, I need
to make the footnotes operate right to left: that is, the footnote numeral
and rule should be on the right side of the page. Now when using the
global direction changes that eomega/Gamma offers, this is trivial for a
global right-to-left document (\pagedir TRT and \bodydir TRT are the
global settings), but in a globally left-to-right document I have not been
able to get this to work locally.

To explain:

\textdir TRT

and

\pardir TRT

locally switch the text and paragraph directions respectively, but not the
footnote markers and rule. This is correct behavior of course. But I have
an article that includes a long right-to-left extract with footnotes, and
those footnotes need to be RL in the sense described above (numeral
+ rule). Is there any way to add a parameter option to \setupfoonotes
which, between---say, a \start-\stop---that can locally switch the
location of the numeral and marker to RL?

Please help: I'm supposed to send this thing to the printer next week:-))

Best
Idris

PS \pagedir TRT and \bodydir TRT don't seem to help this proble when
applied in a local context.

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy