[NTG-context] More about that footnote problem...

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Fri Jul 23 19:33:43 CEST 2004

Dear crew,

Here is a concrete example that illustrates the footnote problem. As
usual, just compile a ConTeXt format under eomega:

===============mix-dir-foot.tex===========
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

\setupbodyfont[omlgc,12pt]

\starttext

\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\footnote{test}\par}

\startarab

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN\footnote{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN}\par}

\blank[big]

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN%
\footnote{%
\startarab %
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN %
\stoparab}
\par}

\blank[big]

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand={\switchtobodyfont[omarb]}]

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN%
\footnote{%
\startarab %
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN %
\stoparab}
\par}

\stoparab

\stoptext

Again, the document is globally left-to-right, but for right-to-left
documents I want the footnote markers in the right margin, and the rule
flush right as well. The relative local eomega direction commands are

\textdir TLT (LR text)
\pardir TLT (LR paragraphs)
\textdir TRT (RL text)
\pardir TRT (RL paragraphs)

though they are not really needed to create parameter options that give me
what I want. I played around with some of the macros in core-not.tex but
that stuff is way over my ahead and I could not make any progress:-(

NOTE: in the second set of RL footnotes, note that the footnote markers
get pushed into the textblock. In the third set of RL fotnotes, we get
Arabic markers using

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand={\switchtobodyfont[omarab]}]

but then we lose the default

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=\high]

and the Arabic-script numerals are again pushed into the textblock.

I look forward to your suggestions

Best
Idris

--