[NTG-context] more footnotes:-)

ishamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Thu Jul 22 20:22:58 CEST 2004

Dear partners in crime,

I have come across a situation where, in a left-to-right document, I need to
make the footnotes operate right to left: that is, the footnote numeral and
rule should be on the right side of the page. Now when using the global
direction changes that eomega/Gamma offers, this is trivial for a global
right-to-left document (\pagedir TRT and \bodydir TRT are the global
settings), but in a globally left-to-right document I have not been able to
get this to work locally.

To explain:

\textdir TRT

and

\pardir TRT

locally switch the text and paragraph directions respectively, but not the
footnote markers and rule. This is correct behavior of course. But I have an
article that includes a long right-to-left extract with footnotes, and those
footnotes need to be RL in the sense described above (numeral + rule). Is
there any way to add a parameter option to \setupfoonotes which,
between---say, a \start-\stop---that can locally switch the location of the
numeral and marker to RL?

Please help: I'm supposed to send this thing to the printer next week:-))

Best
Idris

PS \pagedir TRT and \bodydir TRT don't seem to help this proble when applied
in a local context.