[NTG-context] More about that footnote problem...

ishamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Thu Jul 22 23:10:19 CEST 2004

Dear crew,

Here is a concrete example that illustrates the footnote problem. As usual,
just compile a ConTeXt format under eomega:

===============mix-dir-foot.tex===========
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

\setupbodyfont[omlgc,12pt]

\starttext

\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\footnote{test}\par}

\startarab

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN\footnote{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN}\par}

\blank[big]

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN%
\footnote{%
\startarab %
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN %
\stoparab}
\par}

\blank[big]

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand={\switchtobodyfont[omarb]}]

\dorecurse{3}{hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN hAdhA
'iimtiHAnuN%
\footnote{%
\startarab %
hAdhA 'iimtiHAnuN %
\stoparab}
\par}

\stoparab

\stoptext

Again, the document is globally left-to-right, but for right-to-left documents
I want the footnote markers in the right margin, and the rule flush right as
well. The relative local eomega direction commands are

\textdir TLT (LR text)
\pardir TLT (LR paragraphs)
\textdir TRT (RL text)
\pardir TRT (RL paragraphs)

though they are not really needed to create parameter options that give me
what I want. I played around with some of the macros in core-not.tex but that
stuff is way over my ahead and I could not make any progress:-(

NOTE: in the second set of RL footnotes, note that the footnote markers get
pushed into the textblock. In the third set of RL fotnotes, we get Arabic
markers using

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand={\switchtobodyfont[omarab]}]

but then we lose the default

\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=\high]

and the Arabic-script numerals are again pushed into the textblock.

I look forward to your suggestions

Best
Idris