[NTG-context] Disappearing headers

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 24 00:55:11 CEST 2004

Hello, all--

I am trying to format a book such that the book title appears in the
header of each left-hand page, and the chapter title appears in the
header of each right-hand page. I think (though I haven't decided for
sure) that I want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. It seems
that, when chapters are forced to begin on right-hand pages, the book
title fails to appear on the first blank page inserted to move the
chapter start, and on all subsequent pages.

Here are the commands I am using related to headers:

    \setuphead [title]
        [align=left,textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[BernhardModern]\bf}]
    \setuphead [chapter]
        [page=right,head=nomarking,after=\blank]
    \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location=margin]
    \setupheader [style=\it]
    \setupheadertexts [] [chapter] [title] []
        % reverse order, as mentioned in my earlier post

With all these commands enabled, I get the effect I want: chapters begin
on righthand pages, the title and chapter title appear, respectively, in
the left and right page headers (adjacent to the page numbers, with the
page numbers toward the outside edge of the page). But, as I said, the
book title stops appearing as soon as a blank page is inserted to move
the chapter start to the right.

If I comment out *both* the \setuphead [chapter] command and the
\setuppagenumbering command, the title continues to be displayed
throughout the text. If I enable either of the two, the title disappears
again. By the way, it appears that this \setuppagenumbering command has
a side-effect of forcing chapters to begin on the right. Is that really
a good idea? It's certainly surprising to me.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)