[NTG-context] Fwd: (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma [please forward]

Giuseppe Bilotta gip.bilotta at iol.it
Mon Jul 26 13:37:51 CEST 2004

Idris sent me this asking me to forward it. My reply follows.

Hi Giuseppe,

I was digging in the archives and came across this; I don't think I ever saw
this message (must have been busy at the time). Did you ever get an answer?
I'm sure that editing the otp's will get you the result u wanted quite easily,
but in the year since u wrote this u've probably figured that out already:-)

Best
Idri

[NTG-context] (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma
Giuseppe Bilotta ntg-context at ntg.nl
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:40:35 +0200

Hello,

I don't know if Idris is following the group (I hope he is), but
anyway I have a couple of questions on the support for Greek in
ConTeXt, Omega and thus also Gamma.

The need is that of typesetting classical greek snippets in a
latin (Italian, but could be English) context. I thought that
ConTeXt+(e-)Omega would be the best thing in town, so I prepared a
small test file:

\usemodule[gamma]

\mainlanguage[italian]

\starttext

Possiamo scrivere tranquillamente in italiano; questo non ci priva
per\`o della possibilit\`a di scrivere in greco: vediamo subito
l'alfabeto minuscolo e maiuscolo (notare come j dia \greek{j}
e c dia il sigma di fine parola \greek{c}):

\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

\`E ovviamente possibile usare segni diacritici come gli accenti
(\greek{`a, 'a, =a}) o gli spiriti (\greek{<r, >w}); osserviamo
come questi assumano automaticamente la posizione corretta nel
caso di lettere maiuscole (\greek{`A, 'A, =A, <A, >A, Ai})

\stoptext

While it seems to work pretty well most of the time, there seem to
be some problems; I'd like to know where they arise from and if
and how they can be fixed. The problems:

Combination               Doesn't give
  <r                       rho with spirit
  =A                       capital alpha with circumflex
  <A                       capital alpha with spirit

Moreover, I don't know how to write the subscribed iota. My system
is a MiKTeX 2.2 with (e-)Omega 1.15. Does anybody have an idea?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

My reply:

Well, I'm pretty sure the bug is in the OTPs that come with
Omega (which is pretty funny, considering that Yannis *is*
Greek ...). I guess that when the rougher edges in Aleph are
fixed we'll start correcting the OCPs :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta