[NTG-context] ConTeXt vs. LaTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec1 at email.si
Wed Aug 4 16:07:43 CEST 2004

At the very first moment I saw some manuals I was highly impressed of
what ConTeXt was able to do and decided to switch from LaTeX to the new
typesetting system. I've put (probably to much) effort to typeset my
first presentation and a couple of other documents in ConTeXt after
which I realised that it takes me far less time if I continue using
LaTeX for some documents (no need to redefine styles for headings,
simple tables easier to typeset there, ...).

I'm not sure if these are only the problems at the beginning (since I
have to look for almost any command I use) and would soon disappear or
would the general advice be "don't use ConTeXt if LaTeX suits your
needs". What are your opinions about that?

I guess I could be missing something. \usemodule[pre-'something'] could
be a quick solution for presentations (and I needed quite some time to
realise that, but I've made up my own style anyway) - does anything
similar exist also for "LaTeX-like" documents? I can write something for
myself, but it still doesn't solve the problem if I want to convince
someone to start using ConTeXt as a substitute for simple LaTeX
documents as long he's unable to achive nice default formatting in one
or two lines.

Thanks a lot,
	Mojca Miklavec