[NTG-context] ConTeXt vs. LaTeX

Zeljko Vrba mordor at fly.srk.fer.hr
Thu Aug 5 08:42:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:09:01PM +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> The right way to handle this would have been to copy just the
> relevant code fragment to a package or classfile of your own and
> modify it. The code would have looked a lot hackier than
> corresponding Context code, but as long as it sits neatly tucked
> away in a package of its own, you wouldn't have to let that bother
> you.

Ah, but I have only simplest experience in TeX programming (simple,
non-recursive \defs and \lets are my greatest achievment) and what you
are suggesting is still out of my reach..

1. I know very little of plain TeX and LaTeX internals to be able to do
   anything significant programming for latex.
2. I don't like asking for help. Partly because I don't want to bother
   people, partly because I'm impatient waiting for an answer. When I ask
   for help, I'm really desperate.

Context has enabled me to do typesetting the way I want without too much
'expert' advice and customization.. I had a few questions on Context a
few years ago when reference manuals were non-existant.. But now I'm able
to do everything I want on my own. Still with virtually no 'real' TeX
programming.