[NTG-context] Re: texutil "malformed UTF-8 character" error

Duncan Hothersall dh at capdm.com
Mon Aug 23 13:20:34 CEST 2004

Taco said:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:03:36 +0100, Duncan wrote:
>

>>>(i run perl 5.8.0)
>>
>>I'm running 5.8.0 too (on Redhat).
>

> I'd definately try to get away from 5.8.0 as soon as possible. There were
> quite a lot of (sometimes rather serious) bugs in 5.8.0, esp. in the multibyte
> handling, but also in other areas !

Right, interesting - have upgraded to Perl 5.8.5, and now, having
removed the \def\testbytesequence{} from cont-new.tex, the error message
"malformed UTF-8 character" has gone away! Quite possibly the RedHat 9
install of Perl 5.8.0 had some default of UTF-8 mode set (though I
couldn't see any evidence of it).

Thanks for this Taco. Still not producing any register output, but at
least that's half the problem solved.

Duncan