[NTG-context] ConTeXt and slides

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue Aug 24 17:39:12 CEST 2004

Hi gang,

I'm trying to figure out whether it's whorthwhile to write slides for
my presentations in ConTeXt instead of using Powerpoint or Keynote (I'm
not an engineer or a scientist, so maths doesn't matter). I have cooked
up a nice-looking template without too many frills that kind of copies
what I used to do in Keynote (shaded background, footers etc.). There's
one important thing I can't get to work: is it possible to have a
picture and a text next to it with the text being centered horizontally
and vertically like so?

picturepicturepicture
picturepicturepicture
picturepicturepicture           Here
picturepicturepicture        goes all the
picturepicturepicture           text
picturepicturepicture
picturepicturepicture

What I tried is this:

\startfiguretext[left]{none}{\externalfigure[picture]}
\vfill
\midaligned{Here}
\midaligned{goes all the}
\midaligned{text}
\vfill
\stopfiguretext

but that doesn't work. I also tried things like \framed and
\startcombinations (calling the text from a buffer), but all in vain.
There doesn't seem to be an easy mechanism for centering stuff
vertically in ConTeXt? Any help would be appreciated!

Best

Thomas