[NTG-context] Ancient Greek (bodyfont conflict?)

Steffen Wolfrum context at st.estfiles.de
Wed Sep 1 23:30:44 CEST 2004

Hi,

In "s-grk-00.tex" is defined "\switchtobodyfont[cbgreek]".
So why doesn't it work to define a body font for the normal AND use this module for switching to greek?

Steffen

P.S. Please have a look at this wellknown example.
With the first four lines added the greek parts get empty:

\def\typescriptfiles{type-agaramond.tex}
\usetypescript[AGaramondOldStyle]
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\setupbodyfont[AGaramondOldStyle,10.2pt]

% The following sample file was submitted to the \CONTEXT\
% mailing list by Giuseppe Bilotta, along with the right
% typescripts.

\usemodule[greek]

\mainlanguage[english]

\starttext

We can easily use plain English for normal text, and then switch
to greek when we want; as a first try we type the lower and
upper case 26 letters of the latin alphabet and see how they come
out in greek:

\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z \par
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

As it can be observed, some uppercase letters have strange
outcomes; also, j gives \greek{j} and c gives the
end-of-word sigma \greek{c}; interestingly, s gives either the
normal sigma or the end-of-word one, depending on whether it's at
the end of the word or not: \greek{satrapws}.

Of course we can use the various diacritical signs: accents
(\greek{`a, 'a, ~a}), breathings (\greek{<r, >w, a"}) and
subscribed iotas (\greek{a|, h|, w|}) (these last are pretty ugly in my
opinion); observe how they automatically get the correct position
with uppercase letters: (\greek{`A, 'A, ~A, <A, >A, A|}).

Can the thing be used for serious work?

\startgreek
>>'Andra moi >'ennepe, Mo~usa, pol'utropon, >'os m'ala poll`a\hfill\break
pl'agqjh, >epe`i Tro'ihs <er`on ptol'iejron >'eperse;\hfill\break
poll~wn d" >anjr'wpwn >'iden >'astea ka`i n'oon >'egnw,\hfill\break
poll`a d" <'o g" >en p'ontw| p'ajen >'algea <`on kat`a jum'on,\hfill\break
>>arn'umenos <'hn te yuq`hn ka`i n'oston <eta'irwn.

\stopgreek

\stoptext