[NTG-context] \dh in ConTeXt

Mari Voipio mari.voipio at iki.fi
Wed Sep 15 14:09:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Charles Doherty wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2004, at 12:17, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> >  Howth  {\em H\k{o}f\eth i} / {\em H\k{o}f\eth a},
> >
> > (LaTeX 'dh' = [eE]th, 'th'= [tT]horn, 'ng' = [eE]ng)
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. I get ? when I use the above.

I get ? if I try with the very default fonts (known to me as a problem
with diacritis, standard cmr font just can't do it):

---
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\starttext

Howth  {\em H\k{o}f\eth i} / {\em H\k{o}f\eth a}

\stoptext

---
[Note: I'm using Windows, so the output has been directed straight to pdf,
less hassle for the clueless than dvi etc.]

However, if I use the standard pos fonts as I always do be able to write
among others Finnish, it works:

-------
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupbodyfont[pos]

\starttext

Howth  {\em H\k{o}f\eth i} / {\em H\k{o}f\eth a}

\stoptext
----

If you test the above in live.contextgarden.net or if the compilation
process hangs on your computer, add a magic line:

-------
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\usetypescript[adobekb] [\defaultencoding] %this is the magic!

\setupbodyfont[pos]

\starttext

Howth  {\em H\k{o}f\eth i} / {\em H\k{o}f\eth a}

\stoptext
----

(The above works perfectly at live.contextgarden.net, which may help)

Not all fonts have diacritics, so it won't always work, but with the
standard postscript fonts you should be fine.

BTW, thank you for the tip, both of you - if I ever have to write Old
Norse again, I know which program I'll use for it...

	Mari
	(originally majoring in Scandinavian languages,
	 now just a nerd)