SOLVED -- Re: [NTG-context] pdfetex can't find map files

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Dec 11 02:11:04 CET 2004

Matt Gushee wrote:

>   Warning: pdfetex (file original-public-vnr.map): \
>     cannot open font map file
>
> The files exist and are world-readable, so the above must mean that
> pdfetex just can't find them.

Thomas Esser has explained that pdfetex uses $TEXPSHEADERS (or maybe
$PSHEADERS) as the search path for map files. So I added

   $TEXMF/fonts/map//

to TEXPSHEADERS in my texmf.cnf, and now everything works fine.

It seems a little strange that pdf(e)tex doesn't use TEXFONTMAPS. Maybe
it will in the future? Perhaps Hans can comment on that.

Thanks to all.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA