[NTG-context] How to get default Dutch language Context in TeXShop on Macos X

Robert Kroon Robert at kroontevelde.demon.nl
Thu Dec 16 22:19:36 CET 2004

Hi,

Recently I've installed Gerben Wierda's teTeX distributon incl. ConTeXt
on my iMac (Macos X, 10.3.6). Now I'm trying to learn ConTeXt. I'm
marking up my documents in TeXShop, version 1.34.
I can typeset small ConTeXt documents and generate PDF-files as long as
the type setting commands are in English. However, I would like to use
Dutch type setting commands like:

\starttekst
Dit is een test
\stoptekst

When I typeset this file from within TexShop I get following output and
errors

<Begin screen message>

 TeXExec 5.2.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-nl
             inputfile : Context-les1
                output : pdftex
             interface : nl
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
 (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/natural.tcx)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `cont-nl'.
Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-nl.fmt'; will try `context.fmt'.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt context.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
I can't find the format file `context.fmt'!

           return code : 256
              run time : 6 seconds

        total run time : 6 seconds

<End screen message>

First my interface was en (english). As can been seen in the listing my
interface language is now nl . I changed this under my root account with
the command texexec --make nl en

My Texexec --verbose output under my user account is:

<Begin terminal output>
 TeXExec 5.2.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

          current path : /Users/robert
     locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini on scripts
     locating ini file : kpsewhiching texexec.ini elsewhere
     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'tetex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UseEnginePath' to 'false' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'nl en metafun mptopdf' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'nl' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviSpecialScript' to 'dvispec' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormat' to 'metafun' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXHashExecutable' to 'mktexlsr' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXPassString' to '-progname=context' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXNonStopFlag' to '-int=nonstopmode' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpPassString' to '-progname=mpost' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpNonStopFlag' to '-int=nonstopmode' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '-ini -translate-file=natural.tcx' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpVirginFlag' to '-ini -translate-file=natural.tcx' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXPassString' to '-progname=context -translate-file=natural.tcx' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'MpPassString' to '-progname=mpost   -translate-file=natural.tcx' for 'tetex'

          used setting : TeXShell = tetex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = nl
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = nl en metafun mptopdf
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = .
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXHashExecutable = mktexlsr
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini -translate-file=natural.tcx
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXNonStopFlag = -int=nonstopmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpNonStopFlag = -int=nonstopmode
          used setting : TeXPassString = -progname=context -translate-file=natural.tcx
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini -translate-file=natural.tcx
          used setting : MpPassString = -progname=mpost   -translate-file=natural.tcx
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : MpFormatPath =
          used setting : UseEnginePath = 0
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =
          used setting : SetFile =

 applications will use : /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
     generating format : not using fmtutil

                --help   overview of all options and their values
            --help all   all about all options
          --help short   just the main options
   --help mode ... pdf   all about a few options
        --help '*.pdf'   all about options containing 'pdf'

<end terminal output>

I believe that I'm doing things terrible wrong and I'm not that much
used to use the terminal  (as root, administrator or user) in Macos X.

Any tips how I can get my Dutch typesetting command from within TeXShop?
Many thanks in advance.

Robert

Robert Kroon E-mail: robert at kroontevelde.demon.nl

**** RISC OS computers - designed to serve ****