[NTG-context] Sidebars and versals Oh my!

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Dec 27 20:29:18 CET 2004

John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 06:33, Adam Lindsay wrote:
>

>>plus-rul is interesting, but I'm 98% certain that when John talks about
>>sidebars, he means what you call intermezzos. My interpretation, using
>>the things I do know (or figured out this morning):
>>
>>\setupfloat [intermezzo]
>>   [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
>>    rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
>>    default=outer]
>>\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]
>>\starttext
>>\showframe
>>\input ward
>>\placeintermezzo{}{\framedtext[width=7cm]{\tfx\input dawkins }}
>>\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth \par}
>>\stoptext
>>
>>What I don't know, however, is: 1) how to force a width on flowed text
>>within a float without resorting to the internal \framedtext, or 2) how
>>to use this with \splitfloat, which is what I suspect people who think
>>about sidebars (intermezzo texts) are going to be worried about in a
>>batch-based system.
>

> For my applications I don't need a lengthy sidebar that will overflow to
> another page.
>
> I ran Adam's code as is and noted with interest the results. Then I added the
> gray background, rounded corners etc.  Some things are still problems.
>
> 1. Two words in the main text (both "influenced")  actually intrude into the
> sidebar.
>
> 1a. One word in the sidebar ("influencing") overflows the dimensions of the
> background. (but see 3 below.)
>
> 2. If I specify a background screen and a frame with rounded corners the
> background remains rectangular and does not round to match the frame.

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\framed[corner=round,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]{HELLO}

\framed[corner=round,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.6]{HELLO}

\setupfloat
   [intermezzo]
   [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    default=outer]

\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]

\defineframedtext
   [myohmy]
   [width=7cm,bodyfont=small,corner=round,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.6]

\showframe
\input ward
\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy \input dawkins \relax\stopmyohmy}
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth \par}

\stoptext