[NTG-context] Context index and sorting question

sjoerd siebinga sjoerdsiebinga at zonnet.nl
Wed Dec 29 15:37:45 CET 2004

On 29 Dec 2004, at 14:41, John Culleton wrote:

>> Could someone tell me how I can use the \definesortkey command or for
>> that matter any other ConTeXt mechanism to define sortrules for
>> individual indices?
>>
> You might want to look into a separate program called Xindy. It more
> or less
> replaces Makindex in plain and LaTeX applications, but it could be
> used in
> Context most likely. It is specifically designed to address the
> situations
> you described, i.e. non-Western European sort rules.

Thanks for the quick reply, John.

Xindy looks like a great program and provides great solutions. The
problem is that I can't seem to get it to work on my Mac OS X machine.
A quick look through the xindy mailinglist gave me the impression that
no one has been able to get Xindy to run on Mac OS X yet.

Could somebody maybe tell me just how the \definesortkey command works?
Do I have to define a specific encoding or create "languagespecifics"
in order for TEXEXEC or TEXUTIL to use it?

I would imagine that ConTeXt must be able to sort a norwegian words in
a separate register say "\indexnw{kr{\o}ypa}}" differently from the
english index entries in general \index{} register.

Sjoerd