[NTG-context] Several questions about format generation

Stefan Wachter Stefan.Wachter at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 09:12:09 CET 2005

Hi all,

in the diverse documentation about ConTeXt installation I find the
instruction

"texexec --make ... --language ..."

for generating format files. Several questions arise:

1. What is the consequence of selecting specific languages after the
--make option? Have the generated formats the same functionality, i.e.
do they differ only in the user interface? In particular, do the
different formats have the same hyphenation capabilities?

2. In the "How to install ConTeXt" manual I read that the "nl"-format is
needed for some postprocessing features built in texexec. Is this still
valid? The TeXLive distribution of 2004 contains only the cont-en.fmt file.

3. Is using the --language xy option equivalent to the using the
\mainlanguage[xy] macro?

4. In case that several format files exist: which one is selected by
texexec?

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan