[NTG-context] lettrine.sty, but not LaTeX

Mats Broberg mats.broberg at chello.se
Fri Feb 25 20:19:19 CET 2005

Dear listmembers,

I am not quite yet a ConTeXt user (struggling with the installation),
but having a background as typographer, graphic designer, and printer, I
feel that the lettrine.sty package could serve very well as a model for
something similar in ConTeXt.

At any rate, in order to produce high quality intitials, a ConTeXt
equivalent should not have any less parameters than lettrine.sty.

To re-cap the parameters in lettrine.sty:

- lines=<integer> sets how many lines the dropped capital will occupy

- lhang=<decimal> (0 < lhang =< 1) sets how much of the dropped
capital’s width should hang into the margin (default=0);

- loversize=<decimal> (-1 < loversize =< 1) enlarges the dropped
capital’s height: with loversize=0.1 its height is enlarged by 10% so
that it raises above the top paragraph’s line (default=0);

- lraise=<decimal> does not affect the dropped capital’s height, but
moves it up (if positive), down (if negative); useful with capitals like
J or Q which have a positive depth, (default=0);

- findent=<dimen> (positive or negative) controls the horizontal gap
between the dropped capital and the indented block of text

- nindent=<dimen> shifts all indented lines, starting from the second
one, horizontally by <dimen> (this shift is relative to the first line,

- slope=<dimen> can be used with dropped capitals like A or V to add
<dimen> (positive or negative) to the indentation of each line starting
from the third one (no e
ect if lines=2, default=0pt);

- ante=<text> can be used to typeset <text> before the dropped capital
(typical use is for French guillemets starting the paragraph);

- image=<true> (new to version 1.6) will force \lettrine to replace the
letter normally used as dropped capital by an image in eps format
(latex) or in pdf, jpg, etc. format (pdflatex); this needs the graphicx
package to be loaded in the preamble of course.
\lettrine[image=true]{A}{n exemple} or just \lettrine[image]{A}{n
exemple} will load A.eps or A.pdf instead of letter A. This was
suggested by Bill Jetzer. Redefining \LettrineFont as \LettrineFontEPS
still works for compatibility but is deprecated.

Also, sometimes one wants to indent all indented lines to the same
position (instead of intenting the first line less) and this should
ideally be possible too.

Plus setting a specific color for the initial, but that is handled by
ConTeXt's standard features (I guess).

Best regards,
Mats Broberg