[NTG-context] Re: Current text width?

Duncan Hothersall dh at capdm.com
Tue Mar 8 09:30:48 CET 2005

I said:
> So - is there a parameter which represents the current width of the
> layout area, taking into account itemisations, textbackgrounds and
> anything else? Thanks.

I came up with a rather ugly kludge which solves my immediate problem
but might not be best. I created a new dimen, \RealWidth, and before
each table I set it to the value of \textwidth minus leftskip minus
rightskip. In other words, I did this:

Some text first, which behaves perfectly, and then a table:

by-\leftskip\advance\RealWidth by-\rightskip\bTABLE
\bTR\bTD I was hoping\eTD
\bTD that this table would make itself narrower according to the
background offsets, like the text does. And now it does!\eTD\eTR

This produces what I want as far as I have tested it. I'm not sure it's
the best or most comprehensive solution though.

dh at capdm.com