[NTG-context] Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 15:43:42 CET 2005

Hi Gerben,

On 18 Mar 2005, at 14:24, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> When I use the Optima font I do not have real small capitals. It seems
> \sc does not try to emulate them and also the new \lettrine ignores
> it.

You could emulate them with the \kap command. (and its relatives)
I'm not sure what a blown up lettrine of an artificially shrunk glyph
will get you, though.

With a Type1 font, I would point you to the texfont --caps=0.8 option,
but last I checked, pdfTeX didn't handle font scaling/extension. I'd be
eager to know if this was fixed in the latest revisions to pdftex.

> Is there a way I can still have my SC? Maybe faked by using a smaller
> size capitals?

Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.

adam