[NTG-context] Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 15:43:12 CET 2005

Hallo Steffen,

On 22 Mar 2005, at 12:03, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>  I'd also ask why, if you have the superior Helvetica Neue working,
>>  you're trying to get the plain, no-oblique Helvetica going as well. I
> Yes it is, of course!
>
> But by using HelveticaNeue as is, there is no kerning information
> included. The result is quite poor, as you can imagine.

Ouch! You're right!
That just goes to show how seldom I used the converted Mac fonts... :-/

> And as I don't know how to set a proper kerning (in reasonable time)
> AND how to get it  available in ConTeXt I see no other alternative
> than using Helvetica and use the kerning information that is included
> in Adobes afm/tfm/vf files (being part of tetex).
>
> But if someone want to show me the path to proper TeX kerning I'd also
> prefer HelveticaNeue, no doubt!

Okay, it was trickier than I thought.
But I used the .afm obtained from FontForge conversion, and discarded
the .pfb.

  afm2pl -p `kpsewhich texnansi.enc` HelveticaNeue.afm
  pltotf HelveticaNeue

Because I'm impatient, and wanted a quick test:
\loadmapline[+HelveticaNeue HelveticaNeue " TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc <HelveticaNeue.ttf]
\starttext
\definedfont[HelveticaNeue]
TAVAT.Po
\stoptext