[NTG-context] footnote placement

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Tue Mar 29 17:30:24 CEST 2005

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> =====
> \starttext
>> \startbuffer[tufte]
>> \input tufte
>> \stopbuffer
>> \startbuffer[knuth]
>> \input knuth
>> \stopbuffer
>> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
>it's \getbuffer else you indeed get a verbatim buffer (which is what type
does);

>\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\input knuth } \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

So \endgraf (or \par) is needed here; I should have guessed-)

>also works; put a space or \relax after \input, else tex keeps scanning;
>alternatively use \ReadFile{knuth} or \readfile{knuth}{}{}

I definitely prefer the \ReadFile option. I could not find it (or
\readfile{}{}{}) in ConTeXt Commands or texshow; must be new...

What's the difference between these two commands?

Also: given the ConTeXt philosophy, shouldn't there be a non-cryptic
replacement for \par or \endgraf, something like \paragraph or \endparagraph?

Best
Idris