[NTG-context] presentations in ConTeXt

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Mon May 23 19:52:38 CEST 2005

I've decided to bite the bullet and do my presentations in ConTeXt
this term. So far, I'm quite satisfied. I've done only very basic
stuff so far (if you're interested, you can have a look at http://
www.uni-bonn.de/www/Philologie/Personal/Schmitz/Dateien.html ), but I
like the result. The background is just a pdf-image that I created
with metapost and reused as a page background (I found this was
faster and easier than recalculating it every time...)

Things I would like to know:

I like the idea of having the small bar showing at which place in the
presentations we are (such as in pre-colorful). I'd like it very
minimal, though: maybe just grey squares, with the current position
being white or yellow. I have a hunch that this could be achieved
with \setupinteractionbar, but this command is a bit underdocumented.
Hints, anybody?

I am still at a loss how to achieve one thing in ConTeXt that was
pretty easy in Keynote or (shudder) Powerpoint: When I wanted to
highlight something on a map or a picture, I would just draw a red
circle around it. What would be the proper way to do this in ConTeXt?
Adding a layer with a red circle drawn in Metapost, then positioning
it by trial and error? Or can anyone point to a better solution?

And lastly: I have never seen transitions working on OS X (both
Apple's Preview and Adobe Reader 7.0). Can anybody confirm that they
got this working on other systems?

Sorry for the long post. I'm hoping for some enlightenment.

Best

Thomas