[NTG-context] newest version on teTeX-3.0

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jun 4 10:50:00 CEST 2005

On Saturday 04 June 2005 10:20 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i'm not familiar with updmap
>
> (dvipdfm works ok now, is there a mapfile loading special in dvips?)
>
> Hans
Updmap is a new method of updating all the various font
configuration files on a TeX distribution. It exists on my
TeXLive distro and also my Slackware TeX distro (presumably tetex.)

Here is a condensed version of the man page:
 updmap  is  a utility that creates font configuration files for
dvips(1), pdftex(1), xdvi(1), ps2pk(1), gsftopk(1), dvipdfm(1)
and  (soon)  dvipdfmx(1).   In  an  ideal world,  updmap  would
be  unnecessary -- each of these programs would read the same
configuration file to learn what fonts are available and how they
should be treated.  As  things stand, however, each of these
tools has subtly different requirements and thereby needs its own
font configuration file.  updmap  creates  font  configuration
files  for  all  of these programs from a single source, allowing
you to easily keep all the different configuration files in sync.

       updmap reads a configuration file, updmap.cfg(5) and,
depending on the options specified in that file and on the
command line, updmap will write generated map files to a
directory of your choosing (via one of the --*outputdir options),
or automatically determine  where  to  place the files.  In the
latter case, it tries to use the tree where the variable TEXMFVAR
points to.  When used with the options --edit,  --setoption,
--enable, --disable, or --syncwithtrees, updmap will first write
updmap.cfg(5) and regenerate the map files only if this file has
been changed.
As previously posted I add a line to updmap.cfg asking it to
look for plus.map. Then I add/delete etc. font statements to
that file. When run updmap then updates all the other files used by various
tex variants as described above.

--

John Culleton