[NTG-context] <mtext> UTF further problems

Duncan Hothersall dh at capdm.com
Tue Jun 21 12:25:45 CEST 2005

> Duncan> I'm still having trouble with UTF contents in <mtext> tags in
> Duncan> MathML content.
>
> For whatever it is worth, I just tried that.  A double-acute u (U+0171)
> came through w/o problem.  I'm using a gentoo box w/ tetex 3.0.

Thanks very much for trying it out.

> I tried both dvi and pdf output.  Both worked.
>
> Are you sure your file is in utf-8 and not, eg, utf-16?

I was, but I'm no longer sure of anything. :-) Is there a foolproof way
of finding out?

It seems that lots of editors try to 'help' by doing automatic guessing
and automatic translations into other encodings, making it very
difficult to tie things down. (And web browsers do that same when
submitting things over the web, so I can't do what I usually do and test
on Live.) I tend to use emacs, which I thought was a pretty safe bet,
but maybe I should try something else?

> What platform are you on?

I'm testing on both Windows and (Redhat) linux, both with the current
minimal ConTeXt installations (i.e. mswintex.zip and linuxtex.zip). They
exhibit the same behaviour.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Duncan