[NTG-context] Bold Greek Math with Fourier Font

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at numericable.fr
Tue Jul 12 16:43:07 CEST 2005

Le 12/07/2005 3:08, Randall Skelton a dit :
> Many thanks for pointing this out Michel.  I must admit that this is
> proving to be much more complicated than I thought... Reading Hans'
> "ThisWay" document makes it appear that getting usable bold-faced math
> fonts is only a few lines of definitions... perhaps I should just look
> at buying the lucida collection.

As fourier provides bold fonts, no doubt that a context expert will be
able to set it correctly for boldmath...

But note that there are no bold version of symbols and extension fonts...

> For the moment, I've settled on a compromise of using:
>
>   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters]         [futr8t] [encoding=ec]
>
> and
>
>   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]         [futmib] [encoding=ec]
>
> With this I can get bold greek symbols (both upper and lower case) but
> as you pointed out, operators will be italicized if one isn't careful.
>  Sigh.

At my home it works with

\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]         [futmb8t]
[encoding=ec]

>>Now (one of) the difference between fourier and computer modern is that
>>capital greek is in the "italic" font not in the operators font.
>>
>>This is handled in math-fou.tex:
>>
>>\definemathsymbol [Gamma]   [alpha] [mi] ["00]
>

> In an earlier reply, you suggest that I define:
>
>   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]         [futb8t] [encoding=ec]
>
> but doing so doesn't work as the capital greek symbols... I'm a little
> confused why the substitutions defined in math-fou.tex are not applied
> in this case?

They should be (so it is at my home!)

> I finally realized that when I remembered the existance of \showfont
> earlier today.  This also helped me see where the \definemathsymbol
> statements in math-fou.tex come from.
>

>>If you want command definitions in math-fou.tex to be used even in
>>boldmath, you must change type-spe.tex by referencing the fou math
>>collection in boldmath too.
>

> I'm not sure I follow.  My type-spe.tex contains:
>
> \starttypescript [math,boldmath] [fourier] [special]
>   \usemathcollection[fou]
> \stoptypescript

?

I make private (in the working directory) modified version of type-syn,
type-spe, type-enc, and math-fou

type-spe : added "boldmath"

\starttypescript [math,boldmath] [fourier] [special]
   \usemathcollection[fou]
\stoptypescript

type-syn : added

\starttypescript [boldmath] [fourier] [name]
   \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [MathGamma]     [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [Fourier-Math-Symbols]
   \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Fourier-Math-Extension]
\stoptypescript

and just a new line in

\starttypescript [math] [fourier] [name]
   \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Fourier-Math-Letters]
  \definefontsynonym [MathGamma]     [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters]
   \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [Fourier-Math-Symbols]
   \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Fourier-Math-Extension]
\stoptypescript

type-enc : added

\starttypescript [boldmath] [fourier] [default,ec]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold] [futb8t] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters-Bold]         [futmib]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic-Bold]  [futmiib]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Symbols]         [futsy]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Extension]       [fourier-mex]
\stoptypescript

and a new line in

\starttypescript [math] [fourier] [default,ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters] [futr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters]         [futmi]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic]  [futmii]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Symbols]         [futsy]
   \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Extension]       [fourier-mex]
\stoptypescript

The two new lines allow to have a choice beetween sloped and upright
greek in math-fou

For instance, if you want upright capital letters, just say [mc] instead
of [mi]:

   \definemathsymbol [Gamma]   [alpha] [mc] ["00]
   \definemathsymbol [Delta]   [alpha] [mc] ["01]
etc.

You can also define \alphaup, \betaup, etc.

Test sourcefile

\usetypescript [fourier]  [\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont [fourier]
\definetypeface [foo] [mm] [boldmath] [fourier] [default]

\starttext

This is a silly test that is taking way too long!

\startformula
x = \Gamma + \Delta + \alpha + \delta + \zeta
\stopformula

\startformula[foo]
x = \Gamma + \Delta + \alpha + \delta + \zeta
\stopformula

\stoptext

Could you carefully test it at your home?

I attach the pdf.

--
Michel Bovani