[NTG-context] how to number poetry?

Paul Tremblay phthenry at iglou.com
Thu Jul 14 19:14:38 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 04:59:05PM -0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:

> What is the best way to number lines of poetry?
>
> 1  This is the first line
>    This is the second line
>
> 5  this is the fifth
>
> 10 this is the tenth.
>
> I can supply the number myself. I really don't want the numbers in the
> margin. Instead, I want the whole poem indented right, with the
> numbers left of the indent.
>
> I have tried using tabulate, but tabulate doesn't let me control the
> space between "lines," or really cells.

Answering my own question. One posibility is:

\startitemize
\sym{1} This is the first line
\nop This is the second line
%% and so fourth
\stopitmeize

That allows you to control the space between the number and the actual
line. In addition, ConTeXt should (?) do a good job making sure a
single line doesn't become an orphan or widow.

The only drawback is that you cannot use hanging indents for long
lines:

This is the forest premiva. The mummuring pines and
    the hemlocks

\startitemize
\sym{1} This is the forest premiva. The mummuring pines and
\nop \hskip12pt the hemlocs
%% and so fourth
\stopitmeize

Paul