[NTG-context] Basic question on Unicode and ConTeXt

Christopher Creutzig christopher at creutzig.de
Wed Jul 20 22:35:56 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> So why not mapping the characters to unicode first and defining the
>> mapping from unicode to \TeXcommand only once? regi-* files (at least
>> in the meaning they have now) could be prepared automatically by a
>> script, less error-prone and without the need to say "Some more
>> definitions will be added later."
>>

> you mean ...
>
> \defineactivetoken 123 {\uchar{...}{...}}
>
> it is an option but it's much slower and take much more memory

  I may be wrong, of course, but I think Mojca proposed something
different (and something that should be really easy to implement):  Have
the unicode vectors stored in a format easily parsed by an external ruby
script and create the regi-* files from that, using the conversion
tables provided by your operating system or iconv or wherever ruby gets
them from.

regards,
	Christopher